Monday, April 23, 2007

50 State Quarters Rated: 2003

Illinois
I love the state outline, I love the picture of young Abraham Lincoln, I love the contrast between the rural farm scene and the Chicago skyline, and I love the state motto. I'll even agree to overlook the stars and the fancy font. But where this quarter loses major points is in the corny and completely unnecessary 21st State - 21st Century slogan.
Rating: 15¢

Alabama
I didn't realize Helen Keller was from Alabama until I saw her on this quarter, so I give Alabama credit for recognizing a noteworthy American. Putting her name in braille is a cool touch. The patronizing banner with "Spirit of Courage" on it is not a cool touch. This quarter also becomes too busy with the pine branch and magnolia blossoms along the side.
Rating: 15¢

Maine
I've never met an idyllic ocean scene I didn't like. This one keeps the streak intact. It captures exactly what Maine is all about. The rays of light extending from the lighthouse do a great job of filling what would otherwise be empty space. The only way to improve this quarter would be to sneak a lobster on there somewhere.
Rating: 20¢

Missouri
The scene of Lewis and Clark paddling under the Gateway Arch is an anachronism, but then again, it's supposed to be. It's a tasteful use of artistic license. That's the good. The bad is the slogan "Corps of Discovery." Many Americans probably don't know what that means, let alone how to pronounce it. The quarter is also clogged up with dates -- Missouri's admittance into the union, the quarter's year of issue, the year of the Lewis and Clark expedition, the year of the Lewis and Clark bicentennial. It's numerical cacophony.
Rating: 10¢

Arkansas
This quarter really makes me want to go hunting. I mean, with a duck flying just over the water at point blank range, how could you not want to shoot it? The scene with the lake is pretty, but it strikes me as generic. The floating diamond commemorates the fact that the first diamonds in the US were found in Arkansas. It's a nice design, but I feel like it could say more about the state than it does.
Rating: 15¢

No comments: