Friday, June 08, 2007

Stupid Spoiled Prisoner

I really wish all the media could get together with all the bloggers and agree to never mention Paris Hilton again. Since I'm sure that will never happen, I might as well chime in.

When I found out that Hilton had been released from prison and placed under house arrest five days into her 45-day sentence, I thought that Rick and Kathy slipped a few G's into the pocket of Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca. After Baca's press conference today, I remain satisfied that his explanation, which was that Hilton had medical issues and wasn't receiving her medication. Baca said that an inmate has the right to receive medication, but he or his lawyers need to apprise the sheriff of that need. In court today, she was quivering and showing signs of disorientation, which leads me to believe she was in withdrawal (Paris Hilton dependent on controlled substances? Who would have thought?! Maybe it was just alcohol withdrawal, since she hasn't been drinking in a week.)

I do believe that Hilton wasn't getting her meds. However, my theory is that her lawyers deliberately withheld her medical info from the sheriff's department, knowing that the shakes she would develop within a few days would serve as a get out of jail free card. It's borderline unethical. Fortunately, the sentencing judge wouldn't let this fast one stand, sending Hilton back to the slammer.

I would have much more respect for Hilton if pulled a Martha Stewart and took her punishment like a woman. (I would also have much more respect for Hilton if she didn't open her legs for any guy who buys her a shot of Jaegermeister, but let's be realistic here.) Instead, Hilton was dragged into court today kicking and screaming after trying to sneak out of her sentence -- not exactly a role model. By contrast, Martha Stewart, who decided to serve her punishment just to get out of the way and move on, is now enjoying incredible popularity. I don't remember Stewart crying or yelling for her mother when she was led off to prison.

As a postscript, demagogue extraordinare Al Sharpton felt the need to come out of the woodwork and spill his guts to the always-compliant media. I never thought I'd actually say this, but the windbag got things right. He pointed out that an impoverished, minority inmate would never get such treatment. Thankfully, he fell short of actually accusing the sheriff's department of racial favorism, merely alluding to it. While I wish Sharpton would just keep his trap shut altogether, he makes a good point this time.

No comments: