Saturday, July 07, 2007

New Seven Wonders Announced

The final selections for the new seven wonders of the world have been announced. They join the Pyramids of Giza, the sole survivor of the original compilation, and are as follows:

Chichen Itza, Mexico
The Colosseum, Rome, Italy
Christ the Redeemer, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
The Great Wall of China
Machu Picchu, Peru
Petra, Jordan
Taj Mahal, Agra, India

If you remember from the other day, five of the seven wonders I selected made this list. Replacing the Eiffel Tower with Chichen Itza is something I have no problem with. I admitted that the Eiffel Tower was a dark horse, and as I was doing my research for these postings, Chichen Itza really intrigued me. I regretted that I did not have space to include it, to the point where I almost second guessed my omission.

My only beef is with the inclusion of Christ the Redeemer. While it is a striking statue in an amazing location, let's be honest -- Mother Nature did 95% of the work. I think that its place on the list is more a function of Brazilian president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva's aggressive campaigning among his people rather than global recognition of the statue as one the world's seven greatest icons. Angkor Wat is more worthy.

No comments: