Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Joy of Labor

"I believe that the rendering of useful service is the common duty of mankind and that only in the purifying fire of sacrifice is the dross of selfishness consumed and the greatness of the human soul set free."

Today, I wish to pay tribute to this line by John D. Rockefeller. Earlier this afternoon, I found myself in the Cambridgeside Galleria, conducting some shopping. For the year and a half I spent as a title examiner before starting law school, much of my work brought me to this area, as it is the location of the Middlesex County South District Registry of Deeds. Being down at the Galleria reminded me just how pleasant it is to do work -- to help people through your labors. Whether it is for pay or on a volunteer basis, labor (and especially the accomplishment of completing your labor) is a wonderfully fulfilling feeling that, for the rest of my life, I can hopefully tap, both to help others and to help myself.

No comments: