Sunday, August 06, 2006

I ♥ IKEA

Swedish furniture retailer IKEA has become so successful because of two major accomplishments. First of all, they designed a clean and sleek yet inexpensive furniture style that has managed to transcend cultures the world over. Secondly, IKEA has refined the shopping experience to the point where the store itself is a major attraction to which people flock from the entire region.

I can't exactly tell you quite what the attraction is to IKEA. The store is arranged so that customers follow one long meandering path through a whole bunch of zones on the upper level (bedroom, kitchen, living room, office, children's, etc.) then head downstairs to the marketplace, where all the various accessories are kept. The store also has a cafeteria, a snack bar, a child care center, and a grocery shop. Looking at the different sample set-ups in the various zones is certainly interesting, but I don't know why it's infinitely more fascinating at IKEA than at any normal furniture store. Perhaps it's the straighforward style, or perhaps it's the price (signs are posted telling you that you could own all the furniture in this room for only X dollars), or perhaps it's the thrill of seeing Swedish efficiency at work, but IKEA might as well be some kind of museum where you can actually purchase the exhibits.

I went to IKEA today to pick up a new coffee table. While other items looked interesting, I was able to complete one circuit of the store without feeling the need to purchase anything. Then, as I was meandering through the store again, trying to find the self-service pick-up area, the hammer started to fall. Realizing that my roommate had taken her kettle with her and left me without one, I decided to pick up a nice no-frills aluminum kettle of my own. After that, I saw a six-bottle wine rack for three bucks that I could put to use in my kitchen. Then, I came across the compact dish pouch that will serve me well on my upcoming road trip. Fortunately my self-control eventually returned, since I was giving serious thought to buying a new wastebasket and bookshelf and shoe rack and set of hangers. Again, I can't tell you what it is about IKEA that suddenly makes you "need" things you would never think about otherwise.

The only downside about IKEA is that you feel like just another customer from the unwashed masses. Furniture stores like Jordan's or Cardi's are manned with a professional staff giving you personalized attention. They may be salespeople working on commission, but don't give off the lecherous vibe of sleazy car salesmen. You get a sense that your business really matters. You don't get that attitude at IKEA, and for good reason. Part of the reason why their prices are so low is the self-service aspect. Pick up the furniture yourself in their warehouse, take it home yourself, assemble it yourself. You get what you pay for, and frankly, since I have more time and muscle than money right now, I'll take it.

No comments: