Thursday, August 24, 2006

Wild Wild West

I have returned from my excursion out West, and in order to provide my faithful readers with an account of my trip, I'll be posting reports over the next week or so. We're going to do something a little different here -- I'll be posting retroactively as if I were writing in real time, with date/time stamps representing when I actually visited such sites, rather than when I'm writing about them. So, this post will be the most recent one on It's A Magical World for a while, but I'll be adding lots of new material into what will appear to be old posts. The posts will contain hyperlinks to my photos within their text, but if you're so inclined to skip straight to the photos, the posts will also link directly to my album. Follow all that? Should become clear if you just scroll down the page. I will also post various vital statistics about my trip here as they become available.

Vital statistics:
Departed home: 10:45 a.m. on Saturday, August 12th
Returned home: 12:15 a.m. on Thursday, August 24th
Miles driven: 3,345
Miles hiked: 50 (approximately)
States visited: 7 (CO, NE, SD, WY, MT, ID, UT)
National Parks visited: 10 (Wind Cave, Badlands, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonlands, Rocky Mountain)
National Monuments visited: 3 (Devil's Tower, Craters of the Moon, Grand Staircase-Escalante)
National Memorials visited: 1 (Mount Rushmore)
National Forests visited: 10 (Nebraska, Black Hills, Bighorn, Shoshone, Bridger-Teton, Caribou-Targhee, Dixie, White River, Arapaho, Roosevelt)
State lines crossed: 7 (CO-NE, NE-SD, SD-WY, WY-MT, WY-ID, ID-UT, UT-CO)
State lines crossed on foot: 1 (MT-WY)
States in which we slept: 6 (CO, SD, WY, MT, ID, UT)
States in which we slept consecutive nights: 2 (MT, UT)
Different beds in which I slept: 9
Latest wake-up time: 7:00 a.m.
Gallons of gas consumed: 169.8
Miles per gallon: 19.7
Average cost per gallon of gas: $3.063
Photographs taken counting deletions: 635
Photographs taken and not deleted: 598
Photographs uploaded to my online photo albums: 402

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was a nice trip. Do you have one of those National Park Passports where you collect stamps at every park?

Ben G. said...

I don't have one of those National Park passports. I guess that given my reverence for my real passport (see May 19, 2006 post), I feel like the National Park one is a cheap imitation. Besides, I have plenty of photographs to rely upon for documentation.