Sunday, August 13, 2006

Nebraska

Why visit Nebraska? Because it is there. And that's pretty much it. I figured that if I wanted to visit all 50 states, then Nebraska would have to be on my list at some point. Therefore, we altered our route to drive across the Nebraska panhandle. I didn't exactly expect to see much, and I didn't. The topography is more interesting than eastern Colorado, but that's like saying the Devil Rays are a better baseball team than the Royals.

We stopped at two attractions. The first was Chimney Rock, which was only worth a stop thanks to the Oregon Trail video game we played in third grade before class started for the day. It looked pretty cool in the pixelated black and green DOS-based picture on our Apple IIe, and the representation turned out to be surprisingly accurate. However, it was worth only about ten minutes of our time.

The other attraction was Carhenge, which is exactly what it sounds like. I don't know who had the brilliant idea to replicate Stonehenge with cars in the middle of the Nebraska prairie, but it gets people to stop.

For my Nebraska photo album, click here.

No comments: