Wednesday, May 30, 2007

On Blogging

It was considered a major blow to the blogosphere today when Dr. Robert Lindeman was exposed, on the witness stand, as the blogger Flea. Some people use the blogosphere as an opportunity to express their true feelings about a certain subject while hiding behind a cloak of invisibility. I certainly recognize the value of this anonymity, since it allows people whose speech would otherwise be chilled to expose corruption or bad practices among their industry.

While I praise these grassroots muckrakers and support the First Amendment that provides them with such rights, I harbor no such aspirations when composing It's A Magical World. My blog does not exist for purposes of undermining the establishment. It's merely a creative outlet for me. Some choose painting or music for their artistic expression. I choose the written word -- specifically, three-paragraph statements of opinion or Top Five lists on random topics. Those who know me in real life are aware that my blog captures only one aspect of my personality (the arrogant, self-indulgent aspect), untempered by other aspects of my personality. But that's how I choose to practice my art.

The Flea revelation shows bloggers that the anonymity they cherish is not as impregnable as they might think. But it shouldn't be decried as a threat to the blogosphere at large. It's perfectly okay to publish a blog just for the fun of it. You need not have to try to effectuate social change to make your contribution to the blogosphere. Gratuitous self-centered pronouncements, even if they aren't revolutionary, are valuable as well.

No comments: