Thursday, June 15, 2006

This Land Is Your Land, This Land Is My Land

For the record, I am in favor of immigration. My great-grandparents came to this country from Eastern Europe in order to start a new life. If their future generations were any indication, I'd say they did pretty well for themselves. Therefore, it would not be fair for me to oppose further immigration, because people still exist today who are in search of the same opportunities. America is a country of immigrants. Our multi-culturalism gives our country its character. But immigration must be subject to two caveats: First, it must be conducted through the proper legal channels. Second, immigrants must assimilate into our culture. Yes, you can maintain your native traditions and languages, but you must also understand that you are now Americans, and for all the opportunity it provides, you owe this country respect for and adoption of its own values.


Each morning, on my way to work, I walk down Cambridge Street, through an area heavily populated by people of Portuguese and Brazilian ethnicity. With the World Cup currently going on, there is a furor of nationalistic pride. Portuguese and Brazilian flags and banners hang in many storefront windows. But more often than not, these flags are accompanied by the Stars and Stripes of the U.S.A. I am heartened to know that while these immigrants want nothing more than to see their home countries win the World Cup, they are also rooting for the U.S. national team to be successful (even though it's a severe uphill battle by this point). You can have it both ways. You can be a Brazilian-American or a Portuguese-American. I am thrilled to recognize and celebrate the Brazilian and Portuguese part of your culture, but I ask that you recognize and celebrate the newly-acquired American part of your culture as well. It seems that many of you recent arrivals have adopted this country as your own. I congratulate you and welcome you. Let's go U.S.A.! Viva Brasil! Viva Portugal!

No comments: