Sunday, November 04, 2007

It Gets Earlier Every Year

Now, I didn't note the exact day and time the way I did last year, but today is November 4th and I've already starting seeing the Christmas-themed advertisements on television. Also, Davis Square in Somerville already has wreaths and ornaments hanging from lightpoles. It is four days after Halloween, people! There are jack-o-lanterns sitting on people's porches and I'm nowhere near finishing my leftover candy for trick-or-treaters (none of whom actually bothered marching up the forty-one stairs to my apartment).

It used to be that the day after Thanksgiving was the start of the holiday (oh, who are we kidding, Christmas!) shopping season. Now, it's the day after Halloween. I don't consider Jesus Christ to be my Lord and Savior, but I respect Christmas as a great occasion for people to get together with family and take a break from the daily routine. Corporate America would have you believe that you can only have an enjoyable Christmas by spending lots of money on crap they're trying to hawk. And because of the economic downturn, the big retail strategy of the year is to get people to spend their money earlier than ever. Therefore, we have Christmas ads hitting the airwaves before November sweeps even begin. You know the song about the twelve days of Christmas? They should make a modern version that discusses the two months of Christmas.

Only 51 shopping days left!

No comments: