Friday, December 15, 2006

A Bizarre Dream

The following is a synopsis of an anxiety dream I had Thursday night before my Taxation final exam Friday morning. There are some weird things going on in my head.

First thing I remember, I was driving through Philadelphia looking for a job and/or a place to live. Next thing I know, we're in Ontario, about an hour outside of Toronto, and I'm assisting the legal team that's representing Chief Justice John Roberts and Sandra Day O'Connor purchase a house in Canada. We're in an early morning session in a Canadian courtroom. I start chatting with Kevin, a friend's co-worker. Then, when the hearing is done, I exit the courtroom and find myself in a huge, deteriorating building at Harvard Law School. The building contains both the athletic facilities and the library and two are intermingled, on opposite floors. I go downstairs to the gym and nearly trip several times on missing steps on the staircase. I am supposed to have an intramural indoor soccer game, but they replaced the soccer league with a squash league, so I decide to give it a try. But they ran out of squash racquets and instead they give me what looks like a plastic lacrosse stick.

I try playing squash with it, but I keep missing the ball, so I give up and go down to the library. In the library, I see the roster for a five-person pentathlon relay, and two of the members are convicts from the TV show "Prison Break." Then I go outside to the volleyball court, where the convicts are playing volleyball. I join the game, but keep screwing up, causing my team to lose points. Eventually one of them pulls out a double-bladed hand dagger and threatens to slice my neck. I run back to to the HLS building, which has been transformed into the Supreme Court, except that instead of standard oral arguments, the court is being used for a trial against the Commissioner of the IRS and there is a three judge panel of Roberts, Alito, and Ginsburg. The
convicts trying to stab me are in there, but I figure that I'm safe, because everyone had to go through a metal detector to get in and there are police officers in the courtroom.

But then, Ted Kennedy, who is in the Supreme Court right near me gets a call on his cell phone from someone claiming to be John Kerry's daughter, who asks him to let her in through the back door. He does, and she sneaks in weapons to the convicts. One of them then pulls out a minature gun and tries to shoot me, but it misses. Instead of causing commotion, the police officer goes over and calmly confiscates the gun, but she doesn't arrest him. As the court adjourns, another convict pulls out the hand dagger and swipes at me, but I get away. The police officer doesn't seem interested in helping. So, I run outside and I hop in a car that I think is mine, but actually belongs to one of my former fraternity brothers who's now a 3L here at HLS. He tries to kick me out, but I make him drive away. As we are exiting the parking lot, three of the convicts shoot at us, but fortunately, the windshield is bulletproof glass and cracks but the bullets do not penetrate. We are in Western Mass or Upstate New York at this point, so I decide to go either to Vermont or further upstate for the weekend to lie low. Then I woke up for good.

No comments: