Saturday, November 11, 2006

Uncultured Learnings

For those of you who find South Park and Family Guy too politically correct, I heartily recommend you head out and watch Borat: Cultural Learnings of America For Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan. Sacha Baron Cohen displays his amazing talent and devotion to his character while playing the part of Borat Sagdiyev, a misogynistic, anti-Semitic, and horribly aloof reporter from Kazakhstan. However, the real stars of the movie might be Cohen's marks, many of whom were unwitting participants in the running joke and were all too eager to display their racist propensities in front of the camera.

Now, I'm not very easily repulsed, but there were scenes in Borat where I was clutching my armrests and cringing, simultaneously trying to watch and not watch what was happening on the screen. The Jew jokes didn't bug me, nor did the frequent toilet humor. But the occasional gratuitous nudity did (and if you've seen the movie, you know the exact scene I'm talking about). I think, however, what bugged me the most was seeing so many presumably innocent people taken advantage of by this trickster. Cohen has gone to great lengths for our entertainment, and may the L-rd have mercy on his soul. He really needs it.

Anyhow, those of you who enjoy lowbrow humor (it's okay, so do I) should check out Borat. Just keep in mind that if you're female, Jewish, gay, feminist, Southern, liberal, straight, Christian, conservative, vegetarian, black, male, Muslim, Gypsy, retarded, or Uzbeki, you will be seriously offended at some point. Enjoy!

No comments: