Saturday, October 07, 2006

Lost Segment From Dateline NBC

The following is a transcript of a segment of Dateline NBC's ongoing series "To Catch A Predator" that was left on the cutting room floor and never aired.

Voiceover:
This next man coming to the house is arriving in a black sedan with official government license plates. He goes by the screenname "Maf54" and has been communicating with our decoy, who he thinks is a 16-year-old boy for the past three weeks. In the chats, he asks the boy what he's wearing and tells the boy "I'd love to slip them off you and grab the one-eyed snake." Then, he tells the boy to "get a ruler and measure it for me."

The man, whose name is Mark and drove three hours from Palm Beach, Florida, parks the car and walks up to the front door. Before he arrives, the decoy, who is being played by a youthful looking 19-year-old actor, pokes his head out the front door.

Decoy (hidden camera footage): I'm so glad you came. I was just throwing these towels into the wash, so come on in and make yourself at home. I made some fudge and left it on the kitchen table, so help yourself.

Mark: Okay. The fudge you made looks delicious. I can't wait to try some.

Chris Hansen (walks in): I bet you didn't come all the way just to eat some fudge.

Mark: Actually, that's pretty much all I had in mind.


Hansen: So you drove three hours from Palm Beach and came to this young man's house just because he offered you a snack?

Mark: Yeah, and just to, you know, make a new friend, help him try to start a career in politics.

Hansen: Really? Because, according to your chat log, you talked about more than politics. You call him "your favorite young stud." You tell him you want to see his "cute butt bouncing in the air."

Mark: This is a set-up. This whole thing is being fabricated by the Democrats as a smear campaign. They want my seat and they'll do whatever it takes to get it.


Hansen: So you never told him that you "have a totally stiff wood now?" You never asked "is your little guy limp, or growing?" You never said "I am as hard as a rock, so tell me when yours reaches rock?" I have a full transcript of your chat right here. You said it.

Mark: Okay, I'll tell the truth. I am a gay American. I could never it say before because I'm a Republican and they'd kick me out of the party. Can't a man conduct a sex life in private?

Hansen: Not when it involves a child. How old did you think your "young stud" was?

Mark: In his mid 20's I guess?

Hansen: So if he's in his 20's, why did you tell him "you're too old to drink?" Why is he telling you about the first day of high school lacrosse practice? Why does he need to stop chatting because his mom is calling him?

Mark: Okay, here's the complete truth. I'm an alcoholic, and I've been keeping it a secre
t all these years. I was also molested by priests when I was a child. If you let me go, I'll check myself into rehab right away and deal with my problems. I'm not under arrest, right?

Hansen: No, I'm not a police officer and I'm not going to arrest you. I'm Chris Hansen with Dateline NBC and we're doing a hidden camera investigation on adults who try to meet young teens on the internet for sex. (cameramen step out) Anything you want to say to the cameras?

Mark: This will never appear on the air! I'll make sure my Republican friends sweep this under the rug. Your tape will never see the light of day!

Hansen: Well you're free to go.

Mark leaves the house, but he doesn't get far. Police officers are staked out in the yard and they move into position.

Police: Freeze! Get down on the ground! Put your hands behind your head!

Mark: I didn't do anything! I'm a gay alcoholic and if you let me go, I'll go straight to the detox center!


But the police don't let Mark go. Instead, they take him back to the station for booking, where they take his photograph and fingerprints. Before police have a chance to question Mark, however, a heavy-set man with white hair, who Mark refers to only as "Denny," arrives at the station. After Denny speaks with police for several minutes behind closed doors, Mark is released from custody. Inexplicably, he is never charged and never has to appear in court.

No comments: