Saturday, October 28, 2006

Putting On The Ritz

I just returned from San Francisco, where a law firm (that shall remain anonymous) spent approximately $1600 to fly me out and interview me. The hotel where the put me up? The Ritz-Carlton of San Francisco, right on the crest of Nob Hill. Now, being a thrifty person by nature (a money obsession I inherited from my mother's side of the family), I'm a firm believer that all hotel rooms look exactly the same when you're sleeping, and therefore, I'm never one to splurge for amenities beyond a satisfactory location and a minimal threshold of cleanliness. However, when thrown in the lap of luxury at no cost to me, I am willing to allow myself to make the most of it. Here's why the Ritz is so awesome:

Bed - The ultra plush feather-padded king bed was fitted with four pillows of varying shapes, sizes, and firmnesses on each side. It may have been my imagination, but the left side seemed softer than the right, so that any picky sleeper could find somewhere comfortable.

Amenities - Let's start with the TV. It's a 32-inch flat-panel high-definition screen. The bathroom had two sinks, an oversized shower head, and all the freebies you could desire (razor with shaving cream, toothbrush with toothpaste, emery board, mouthwash, cotton balls, cotton swabs, Bulgari branded soap and shampoo and conditioner and body lotion, shower cap, sewing kit, shoeshine kit, laundry detergent). There are three telephones in the room. There are also two terry-cloth bathrobes and an umbrella.

Perks - You could use the provided iron or shoeshine kit to freshen up for your day. Or, you could get the staff to do it for you. On check-in, I was given a coupon for free pressing of two garments. I called guest services at 11 p.m. and they sent a valet down to my room to pick up my suit. I told her that I needed it back by 8:30 a.m. the next morning, and right on time, there it was. In the meanwhile, I came across the complimentary shoeshine bag, which included directions stating that if you put shoes in the bag and hang it on your doorknob before midnight, your shoes would be shined and returned before 6 a.m. When I checked the door the next morning, there they were, along with three newspapers (San Francisco Chronicle, USA Today, Wall Street Journal).

Service - The staff of the Ritz were dedicated to service, calling me by name and constantly asking what they could do to improve my stay. I ordered room service breakfast for the morning of the interview, and the waiter barraged me with a constant stream of questions: Did you get all the newspapers you wanted? Where would you like me to set up the table? Do you want me to open the curtains? Would you like me to take the covers off your plates? The night before I left, a guest service representative left a voicemail for me, thanking me for my stay and asking if I needed bellhop or car service for the next morning. I really got the sense that no request could be too big nor too small. These were extremely well-trained, professional people who did not break a sweat in meeting my every whim and desire.

Even with the law firm job that will kick me up several tax brackets, I don't know if I could ever justify $300 plus tax for a night in a hotel. Maybe if I had someone special that I wanted to treat to an amazing experience, I'd consider the Ritz. Maybe the law firm lifestyle includes staying in such places when on business trips. But for 48 hours, I had the chance to live the good life. It was awesome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds quite the junket. Any interviews in NY? You could stay at the Alex Hotel on E. 42nd, for $650 a night. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I've stayed at the Alex -- it's not actually that great. Sure, the rooms are big, and there is a kitchen, but I'd rather stay at the Waldorf, where there's at least a comfortable chair in the room. The Alex has this "modern decor" theme going on -- translation = couches with no backs and thin, uncomfortable cushions.

The Waldorf, on the other hand, was fun.

G-d bless traveling for business...

I hope your interviews are going well.

Jaime