Saturday, September 30, 2006

I Love Health Insurance

You always hear the news reports about the evil health insurance companies who deny claims for unnecessarily expensive or experimental procedures and who require their clients to jump through all sort of bureaucratic hoops to get the payments they rightfully deserve. Maybe that's why I was so thrilled when the system actually worked.

Back in August, when I was on my hiking tour of the Great American West, you might recall that I slipped and fell in a cave in Idaho, sustaining a nasty gash and bruise on my left knee. Being the machissimo-filled doctor-phobe that I am, I attempted to clean the wound and bandage it myself with a first aid kit, while icing down my knee, rather than seeking medical attention. However, six hours later, the cut still wouldn't stop bleeding. At that point, my fear of permanent bodily injury overcame my fear of medical attention, and I directed my travel companion to stop at the nearest hospital, not knowing whether I had to select a certain hospital from a list of preferred providers or even if my Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts policy would cover me in Utah.

Long story short, I was patched up and sent on my way in less than an hour (most professional and efficient ER operation I have ever heard of). The staff took a photocopy of my insurance card, and when I asked upon discharge whether I needed to make a payment at that time, they said they'd bill me. It sounded like they needed to file a claim with my insurance company, which could be a recipe for disaster, considering that every other medical appointment I've attended had been able to settle with the insurance company on the spot and collect only a co-pay. Two weeks later, I received a painstakingly-itemized bill with a notation that it had been submitted to my insurance company, and if not paid by them in 45 days, I would be responsible for the whole thing. Then, after another two weeks and without any further action whatsoever on my part, another letter arrived, telling me that the insurance company had paid the claim and all I owed was the $50 co-pay, which would be discounted by 10% if received within 30 days.

Maybe I shouldn't be so impressed that the insurance worked exactly as it was supposed to, but the injury was enough of an ordeal, so I'm glad things weren't any more complicated than they needed to be.

No comments: